Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Harriet at Five Weeks, new routine, MOPS

I over at Clara's house the other afternoon and picked up the book How to Photograph Your Baby.  What was intended to be a quick glance turned into reading the whole thing in one sitting (it's supposedly designed for new parents to be able to read and grasp quickly...that's a good thing!).  I don't have the photographer's eye, like so many people in my family do, but I don't want Harriet's life or any of our future children's lives to go undocumented.  This book was great because it provided three super simple techniques for improving skills at photographing babies and children: find a good light source, get close, and take lots of pictures.  Hey, even I can do that.

And so I did.  Harriet is really chill and happy right when she wakes up in the morning, so I knew that would be a good time to practice.  Last Friday morning (her five-week birthday) I propped her up in the Bobby pillow in front of a window (she loves windows) and started taking lots of pictures.  Here are six that turned out fairly well.


While I will never be a Clara, I'm glad to realize that I really can take half-way decent pictures, and I don't have to be afraid to get the camera out.

I really don't like being without a routine.  With Steve's nutty shift and having a little squirt to take care of, my tendency is to give up entirely on any semblance of a routine because I'm afraid that it will be too hard or it won't work.  This hearkens back to my high school days of Rigid Routine or Die.  However, when I don't have a plan, I am less productive and consequently less satisfied with how my days go along.  Then came the still, small voice (which sounded surprisingly like my mother's): "Be flexible."  I can have a routine which can be flexed in order to meet the needs of the little and big people in my life.  What do I want to get done in the morning?  The afternoon?  What things are necessary and what activities can slide if need be?  I really do believe that my top priority, after my relationship with Christ, is to keep Steve and Harriet happy (which usually equals Full of Food) and to keep the house clean.  It's my job.  I also believe that it's important for me to take the time to get ready for the day...whenever the "day" ends up starting.  So, working around what I know to be Harriet's general napping pattern and Steve's daytime sleeping, I think that I have a bit of a plan down now that will make my days go more smoothly and make me a happier gal.

Mom is the coordinator of MOPS this year and I've been recruited as to fulfill the roles of Hospitality and Publicity.  We had our first real live Steering Committee meeting yesterday afternoon and I think it's going to be a fun couple of months.  It's weird to actually be in MOPS after spending so many years babysitting for the meetings and observing my mom's involvement.  Sometimes I wonder, Is this really me with this baby?

Okay, gotta keep on rolling....

2 comments:

Jennifer Rodgers said...

Love the pic, sis! :)

Krista said...

Such adorable expressions on an adorable baby! :-) I just want to squish her in a big hug!

Post a Comment