Saturday, March 27, 2010

Dreams, Sleeping frustrations, and Hibernation Day

My mom is known for having particularly bizarre dreams, as well as having the ability to remember each teeny-weeny aspect of them.  She likes to share them with us.  I have never experienced dreams to this extent, but lately my dreams have been really weird. One night my creepy next door neighbor was attacking me with a cheftoku knife in the McHenry mansion.  Last night I had a dream that Steve had died (bad, bad, bad), but when I went to the visitation, I discovered that it was really a dummy in the coffin.  It makes some sense to attribute this sleeptime insanity to my irregular sleep patterns of the past two weeks, yet I begin to wonder if this weird dream sabotage will be discontinued or if I'm going to turn into my mom.  (Not that I would mind turning into my mom in other areas of life...like having nice handwriting, being diligent in exercising every day, etc.)

Sleeping has been interesting for both of us these nights and days.  I think I'm going to have to get a sign for our door that says, "Daytime sleeper.  Do NOT disturb."  It was really irritating yesterday when our creepy neighbor (yes, the same one from my dream) came while I was at work, knocked on the door, woke the dog up, woke Steve up, and all she needed was a ride to do some totally unnecessary shopping downtown.  "I don't need a ride back," she said. "I can walk home."  It's five stinkin' blocks to the downtown from our house.  If she could walk home, why couldn't she walk down there?  This woman is completely out of her mind and yet somehow managed to get a ride all winter without bothering us.  Now that it's nice outside, she has to come up with illogical errands which require transportation.  Sheesh, I have enough trouble keeping my siblings and Steve's siblings from dropping in and causing a ruckus.  Now the creepy neighbor, too?  (Needless to say, the bulk of my dreams after falling back to sleep this morning involved trying to keep people from waking Steve up.  I don't think I really slept at all.)

One thing I don't mind waking up for is feeling the Baby kick around.  I never imagined that I could get so much pleasure from Someone pummeling my insides, but it's so hard not to smile and laugh at each jab - even at 4am.  Last night I was convinced that she (can I just call him/her a "she"?  I want him/her to be a Girl, so unless I find out otherwise [MONDAY!], I'm just going to go this route) was doing a cheerleading routine that involved sticking her arms and legs out at their full length and jumping.  It was hilarious. 

Speaking of babies, there was the best baby in Emily's yesterday.  She had dark wispy curls, the chubbiest little cheeks, and two adorable teeth.  If our Baby is as cute as that, I'm going to have a hard time not eating her up on a daily basis.

Anyway, the stress of this week is demanding that this Saturday be a Hibernation Day.  I'm going to clean up the wreck of a kitchen, work a bit on decluttering my sewing room, read a bunch, bake some bread, snuggle up with my sweet husband, and just generally Take It Easy.  If one can't escape small-town USA by running away, one can at least stay safely locked behind her door.

Two verses that stuck out to me last night:
Count it all joy, my brothers, when you fall into trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness.  And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.  James 1:2
But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere.  And a harvest of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace.  James 3:17-18

3 comments:

BeckyLove said...

I have yet to not laugh out loud when reading your blog. Now, to not cry every time... <3

Amelia said...

Hey, if you can figure out how not to cry at the drop of a hat, let me know. It would be helpful sometimes.

I read a blog written by a young mom whose husband just left for his second military deployment. I sob every stinking time.

Lisa said...

Bah! on weird dreams! Bah! on weird neighbors! Yea! for babies! Yea! for Monday!!! Yea! for James!!!! (Enough pinging there to make any professional punctuator cringe -- but, oh, well!)

Post a Comment